Interlibrary Loan allows Eugene Public Library cardholders to borrow items from other libraries, including books and articles from magazines, newspapers and journals.
Under some circumstances, we do not offer Interlibrary Loan; for example, if our library offers the item or if it can be borrowed from the University of Oregon libraries (get a free Oregon Card).
For each Interlibrary Loan item borrowed, your account will be charged $5, plus any fees charged by the lending library.
How to request an Interlibrary Loan
- First, check our catalog or contact us to find out if Eugene Public Library has access to the item or has already ordered it.
- If not, complete an Interlibrary Loan request form:
- We will let you know if we can order the item or if not, if there are other ways for you to access it.
- Because other libraries sometimes charge their own fees, our form asks you to state the maximum total amount you are willing to pay to borrow this item. If the overall cost will be higher, we will not order the item and will let you know in case you would like to reconsider.
Borrowing and returning an Interlibrary Loan
Interlibrary Loans are handled similarly to Holds requests.
- When your item arrives, we will notify you, including the deadline to pick it up.
- Find your Interlibrary Loan item on the Holds shelf and check it out.
- If you do not pick up and check out the item by its deadline, we will return it to the lending library.
- The loan period is 21 days and cannot be renewed.
- Return Interlibrary Loan items through our outside or inside return slots.
- If the item is damaged or lost, let us know. Our standard policies and fees will apply.
For obituary requests, see Obituary Search Help.
For more information or assistance, please contact us.