To align with the statewide ban, Eugene's local ordinance has been updated with these changes:
- Restaurants are no longer exempt and may no longer provide single-use checkout bags to customers.
- Retail establishments are still prohibited from distributing single-use plastic bags at checkout.
- The statewide ban further defines single-use checkout bags, which retail establishments and restaurants are not allowed to distribute to customers. Single-use bags are those provided to customers at checkout that are made of any material that are NOT:
- A recycled paper checkout bag (a paper bag that contains at least 40 percent post-consumer recycled fiber);
- A reusable fabric checkout bag (a bag with handles that is specifically designed and manufactured for multiple reuse and is made of cloth or other machine-washable fabric); or
- A reusable plastic checkout bag (a bag with handles that is specifically designed and manufactured for multiple reuse and is made of durable plastic that is at least four mils thick)